Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- PhD. in Physics or related discipline.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, be self-motivated and able to work both independently and as a part of a multi-institutional team.
- Ability to interact effectively with a diverse group of scientists and technical staff.
- Demonstrated ability to disseminate research results by writing manuscripts and giving academic presentations.
- A good understanding of the physics of quantum materials
- Able to work closely and communicate effectively with colleagues focused on other experimental and theoretical techniques
- Demonstrated data analysis skills
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience in spectroscopic or scattering techniques such as x-ray scattering, neutron scattering, optical spectroscopy, photoelectron spectroscopy, etc.
- Experience with, or motivation to learn, van der Waals heterostructure synthesis
- Familiarity with, or motivation to learn, facility proposal submission procedures and effective completion of experiments in fixed time slots using national-scale central facilities.
- While based primarily at Brookhaven National Laboratory, the position may require some domestic and international travel
- BNL policy requires that after obtaining their PhD, eligible candidates for research associate appointments may not exceed a combined total of 5 years of relevant work experience as a post-doc and/or in an R&D position, excluding time associated with family planning, military service, illness or other life-changing events.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- On-site childcare
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
- Child Development Center
Brookhaven National Laboratory and the Energy and Photon Sciences Directorate are committed to your success. We offer a supportive work environment and the resources necessary for you to succeed.